Do you love New York City? Then why not help visitors love it too?
If you love New York City, enjoy meeting people from around the world and would like to share with visitors a New Yorker’s New York, Big Apple Greeter has just the volunteer opportunity for you!
Many first-time and even repeat visitors to our city are intimidated by its size. Big Apple Greeter volunteers welcome visitors to all five boroughs and show them that “the big city” really can have small town charm.
- Visitors request specific neighborhoods they’d like to see, or leave the neighborhood up to the Greeter.
- A Greeter takes a visitor on an informal, unscripted walk through neighborhoods the Greeter knows well.
- Greeters share personal stories and favorite spots.
- We encourage visitors to experience diverse neighborhoods in all five (5) boroughs.
- Your knowledge of any ethnic areas and off the beaten track neighborhoods is a plus.
- Knowledge of foreign languages or American Sign Language is also helpful.
If you prefer a “behind the scenes” way to share your enthusiasm for New York City, consider becoming a volunteer at our headquarters at 1 Centre Street in downtown Manhattan. Time commitments vary by position. Click here to learn more about these opportunities.
Big Apple Greeter welcomes all volunteers without regard to race, color, creed, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Making Connections Video
Greeters are indemnified against personal liability for any acts conducted within the scope of these responsibilities; however, Big Apple Greeter is not responsible for activities outside these responsibilities. Therefore, if a Greeter exceeds these limitations, Big Apple Greeter is not liable.