Big Apple Greeter’s Record of Success
Since the program began in May 1992, Big Apple Greeter has made great strides in achieving our mission of enhancing New York ‘s worldwide image and enriching the New York experience for visitors. Here are some highlights:
- Generated over two billion media impressions worldwide in thousands of print articles, radio and television segments, spreading an upbeat and positive message about New York City and New Yorkers.
- Served over 120,000 business and leisure travelers from every state and over 120 foreign countries, showing them 114 neighborhoods throughout New York City.
- Greeters participated in activities such as:
- American Express Volunteer Fair
- Corporate Volunteers of New York Expo
- Fleet Week
- Food Bank of NY –NYC Wine & Food Festival
- Grammy ® Awards
- Harlem Week
- IDA Conference
- I Love NY Apple Give-a-way
- Make-A-Wish Foundation ® of Metro New York
- The New York City Marathon
- NYC Volunteer Expo
- Oprah’s Big Give
- Travel Industry Association of America International Pow Wow (R) 2005
- United War Veteran Council Veteran’s Day Parade
- Recruited and trained over 1,700 volunteers from diverse backgrounds and from all five boroughs, with a consistently active corps of about over 300 volunteers.
- Benefited from the contribution of more than 650,000 volunteer hours.
- Instituted the Access Program to promote New York City ‘s manageability as a destination for travelers with disabilities.
- Created 33 Neighborhood Information Profiles to promote neighborhood tourism in all five boroughs.
Big Apple Greeter owes its success to the support from our donors in the New York City corporate community; the valuable contributions of our volunteers; and the unwavering enthusiasm for our program from the press, the public, and you, the visitors, who come to New York City and leave proudly saying, “I Love NY!”