Do you love New York City? Then why not help visitors love it too?
If you love New York City, enjoy meeting people from around the world and would like to share a New Yorker’s New York with visitors, Big Apple Greeter has just the volunteer opportunity for you!
Many first-time and even repeat visitors to our city are intimidated by its size. Big Apple Greeter volunteers welcome visitors to all five boroughs and show them “the big city” really can have small town charm. Here’s how it works:
- A Greeter takes a visitor on an informal, unscripted walk through neighborhoods the Greeter knows well.
- Visitors can request specific neighborhoods within the five boroughs they’d like to see, or leave the neighborhood up to the Greeter.
- Greeters share personal stories and favorite spots.
- Your knowledge of any ethnic or off-the-beaten-track neighborhoods is a plus.
- Knowledge of a foreign language or American Sign Language is helpful but not required.
If you prefer a “behind the scenes” way to share your enthusiasm for New York City, consider becoming a volunteer at our headquarters at 1 Centre Street in lower Manhattan. Time commitments vary by position. Click here to learn more about these opportunities.